North Dakota Measure 3: Marijuana Legalization and Automatic Expungement Initiative
NDNPA opposes this measure and asks for your support to vote NO on the initiated measure:
1. Marijuana remains illegal under the federal law.
2. Many states are dealing with a wide variety of policy questions and problems post
legalization, nine states and the district of Columbia have recreational marijuana.
3. Law enforcement in states where marijuana is legalized spend a disproportionate amount
of time responding to citizen complaints and violations.
4. Data indicates in these states an increase in prevalence of marijuana detected in fatal
crashes. THC is linked to poor driving performance and delayed response times.
5. Recent research supports marijuana is addictive. For those that use marijuana 9% become
addicted, that increases to 16% if used as a teenager, and the risk of use of other illicit
drugs also increases.
6. The initiated measure states the possession or sale of any amount by someone under the
age of 21 will have the same penalty as a minor in possession of alcohol.
7. The initiated measure states that no person over 21 may be prosecuted in any court for
any non-violent marijuana related activity, such as DUI.
8. The initiated measure states that all sections and laws in conflict with this language are
nullified and repealed.
9. There is no possession limitation or any restriction on growing.
10. The measure states that no person over the age of 21 shall be prosecuted in any court for
any non-violent marijuana related activity, with exception of sale of marijuana to a person
under the age of 21.
11. The initiated measure states that the measure is effective 30 days after the vote, there is
no time to fix the measure after passage.
12. The measure also states that the state shall pay all legal expenses for both parties if
ordered to expunge or seal records.
13. The North Dakota Peace Officer Association is opposed to this initiated measure and urge
others to oppose.
14. The North Dakota Medical Association also opposes the initiated measure.
NDNPA urges a NO vote on this initiated measure.